Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What not to say...

I know there are lists a mile long on what not to say to an infertile woman.  I also know very well that people that haven't experienced the emotional storm of IF don't understand it, and aren't equipped with the right words or perfect answer.  I get that, and furthermore, had I not gone through this I'm sure that I would be THAT person that struggled to find the right thing to say!  As with anything in life, any struggle that someone else is experiencing is hard for someone else to grasp, fully. 

Some of the things I have heard since TTC have blown my mind, but once again, I have always tried to keep an open mind and NOT be offended.  Throughout these 3+ years things have bothered me on different levels at different times.  For the first 2 years anytime I heard a pregnancy announcement, I would get so upset, burst into tears at times, and just be down right BITTER.  The pregnancy announcements that my FB is inundated with no longer bother me.  I have found a different peace about that.  I just came to realize that I would never want anyone to experience the pain and longing that I have endured, not even my worst enemy.  I also remember feeling pretty bitter about some people getting pregnant, only for them to suffer a miscarriage...that was a really bad feeling!  I know people are going to continue to have babies upon babies while we sit on the sidelines watching it happen, that is a fact, and being bitter and angry were only holding ME hostage...nobody else. 

As we approach IVF, different comments seem to bother me now...and I just can't help it.  One thing that now frustrates me is the discussion of money.  After all is said and done, the cost of the IVF is $15,000.  We've already spent close to $8,000 (which, by the way, is a drop in the bucket for some IFers).  So, at the end of the day we will have spent over $20,000, baby OR no baby...this is not even a guarantee that we will have a baby.  Even if we do end up with a baby, which would be worth EVERY penny...let's face it, $20+K to get there is pretty much devastating financially.  I have been pretty open about our IF journey, to family, friends, friends of friends, co-workers...that's just who I am.  People will ask me how much IVF is, and some people are just shocked, while others say "Oh that's not bad" or "You can afford it" or "You're in a great position to be able to do this" or "That's not bad, at least you'll have a baby" or "Oh girl, our out of pocket at the hospital when we delivered was $1200.00" (really?????).  Ok, so those aren't all bad comments...they are more "look on the bright side of things" comments.  They are the BE POSITIVE comments.  I get it, I really do.  But, can I be really honest?  It would be so nice for someone to say "Wow Amy, that has to be really hard, I can't imagine" or "That just plain SUCKS"!!  I know the natural route for someone is to be positive, and that's really great...but just from the heart of someone going through it, it's nice to hear "This must suck, but I'm here if you ever want to vent".  It IS difficult for us to fund this IVF.  Yes, we can afford another monthly payment for the next four years, plus $5,000 cash out of pocket for meds (thanks be to God)...but it hurts, bad.  Isn't just having a baby expensive??  I mean, that's what I've heard my whole life.  Starting out with a loan payment, plus nearly all our savings gone is going to be tough....and that's the truth, that's what hurts. 

If you know someone going through IVF or any other fertility treatments...my best advice is to just console.  Be there, be present, listen a little more than you talk.  There is certainly NO perfect answer.  It reminds me of when my mom died at 50 years old of cancer.  The single most devastating thing to happen to me at 24 years old.  What does someone say?  I'm still the same person today as I was then...I wanted someone to say "Amy, this sucks, moms aren't supposed to die so young, this isn't fair".  What I heard was "She's in a better place" or "You'll be ok".  And...this is OK, don't get me wrong...nobody knew exactly what to say.  What I have learned is that people want reassurance to feel bad about situations.  It's OK to have a pity party...just don't stay there too long.  The idea that everything is on the UP and UP all the time puts a lot of pressure on someone.  There are so many times I just want to break down b/c of the anxiety, stress and just pure heartbreak of IF...but I feel the pressure to be positive all.the.time.  I feel like if I actually voice my fears out loud that someone will just come along and say "See the bright side, Amy"...when I all want is a hug and someone to say "Let it out, I'm here". 









6 Fabulous Comments:

Stephanie said...

This is the perfect place to come and let it all out...many of us have been through it and 'hopefully' will have some reassuring comments for you. It does suck, there is no other way around it. It's not fair at all! These are great tips for those who haven't been through it though, and good reminders for those who have.

waiting and wishing said...

It does suck... A lot! The truth is, there isn't a glamorous side of IVF, and every facet of it is difficult in new and different ways, but please know there are several of us here just waiting to cheer you on and pick you up on the hard days. Though it is a difficult ride, it is absolutely worth it!

k.mart said...

I have not endured your particular struggles, but I can totally understand what you mean in the ways that I can. If I have learned anything in recent years, it is to empathize as much as I am able and to really hear what the person is trying to share-- EVEN IF it appears I have been through the exact same difficulty. Only to speak when I feel the Holy Spirit has given me something to say, in times of real heartbreak and confusion. Oh, I am not always perfect at this, but I hope God is growing me step by step. Because, life IS hard and there ARE things that cause us to worry or ask why or-- hopefully-- hit our knees with the insane hurt. I am encouraged that our Savior, as His last prayer before He died for us, even asked God if there be ANY OTHER WAY??? He is our High Priest who understands, has endured, and even knows what it's like to not want to go the way that He must. That makes me bolder in prayer and more comforted in spirit when I can't be all Suzy Sunshine! I HATE that you face this particular battle, Amy, and I wish I could make it all better. But know that you are loved, pretend it's many moons ago in Scott Hall... we've just eaten cheesesticks and done something ridiculous... and I'm giving you a big hug because, even when you struggle, you are strong. It says so in Corinthians... for when I am weak, THEN I AM STRONG! I'll stop this novel now but know how much I hope and pray God grants you the desires of your heart! xo

Anonymous said...

Such a great post Amy! I often tell people that all I want is for someone to say "wow, that sucks" whether it's about infertility or anything else that is going on in my life. I promise you that I know it sucks and you can cry on my shoulder anytime!

Christy Marshall said...

i love this post. so very much. i'm super positive and always want to say the most perfect thing to someone and i've learned that sometimes giving them my most sympathic heart, and a simple, "i can't even fathom." goes a long way. i've got the softest place in my heart for the infertile woman (which, i hate that term and if there is a better term than infertile please let me know), that i often consider opening my womb so that someone can have their very own biological child. i love you. and that is all. i'm really happy that you are letting us in on this journey. thanks for that.

amy said...

What great support! Thank you ladies, again, for the heartfelt words that bring me so much comfort!!